Subject: Re: Out to Video
From: Andrew Hofman <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 17:34:44 -0500

At 01:54 PM 12/15/95 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>And since the PVR has a direct SCSI-2 connection to its drive, it
>>outperforms ANY card that sends video over the system bus, and even the
>>system buses themselves!
>
>One thing I would like to append to my message, the pvr does manage to
>exceed scsi2 speeds when sending output to video. It would have to, as full
>speed video frames at 30 per second is more than 40 MB per second. I have no
>idea how it does this, not owning one, but it does. I am pretty sure that it
>doesnt exceed PCI bus speeds though.
>
>Marcus
>

Ahhh, except for the fact that the PVR plays >compressed< video. You were
referring to full uncompressed. The fastest drives available now (including
mine) stream at far below the SCSI-2 spec. Most are in the range of 6-8
Mbytes/sec. Mine hovers around 7 Mbytes/sec. 

I've heard a few different numbers regarding uncompressed rates, but the
most frequent one is 30 Mbytes/sec, given 1Mbyte per frame. 

   ************************************************
   * Andy Hofman       |    LumaQuest Productions *            
   * [email-masked]  |             3D Animation *
   * 513-643-7333      |  Dual Raptor 3 Rendering *
   ************************************************